Here at the frontier, the leaves fall like rain. Although my neighbors are all barbarians, and you, you are a thousand miles away, there are still two cups at my table.


Ten thousand flowers in spring, the moon in autumn, a cool breeze in summer, snow in winter. If your mind isn't clouded by unnecessary things, this is the best season of your life.

~ Wu-men ~


Sunday, October 16, 2016

Birthday Post

Today is my birthday. Won't you help me celebrate?



Today is not only my birthday, but my third running of the Detroit Free Press International Half Marathon. If you are reading this, today, before approximately 11 AM EST, I am probably still on the course.

My daughter is running the full marathon and my wife did the 5K yesterday.


I'm running not only for myself, but to help raise money to fight human trafficking. The Detroit area is the second worst in the nation.

Last year my running group raised over $350K, of which something like 80% was spent locally. It's not too late to donate if you like. My fund raising page is here.

UPDATE **



This past year was not without a few funny bounces.



In January, after my most lucrative year ever, by far; I was laid off. The company was changing direction and the group that I worked for was being severely downsized and eventually shut down.

These things happen. I wasn't angry about it. Between vacation time that they owed me and a small severance, I was ok for a couple of months; plenty of time to turn up something else.

The only real monkey wrench was that I got experience the Health Care exchanges, in order to get myself some health insurance until I started a new job. That part wasn't so much fun.

Anyway, the funny bounces: I had been contacting everyone I could think of who might know of a new position for me. One guy whom I had worked for before and since moved to another company, wrote back and said that he had an opening.  Why not work for him?

A couple of months later, I became the Technical Manager at the Equipment and Tool Institute, a trade organization that represents the interests of companies who make tools for the after market automotive industry.

It's a good job. It's a lot less stressful that my previous several positions. I still travel, but a bit less and with a lot more forethought.

I'm pretty happy here.

In a couple of weeks, the Mrs and I will be celebrating our 33rd wedding anniversary.

At our wedding, we left the choice of a song for our wedding dance to the band. This is what they came up with:



I wonder what they were trying to say?




1 comment: