Here at the frontier, the leaves fall like rain. Although my neighbors are all barbarians, and you, you are a thousand miles away, there are still two cups at my table.


Ten thousand flowers in spring, the moon in autumn, a cool breeze in summer, snow in winter. If your mind isn't clouded by unnecessary things, this is the best season of your life.

~ Wu-men ~


Friday, October 16, 2015

Birthday Post

Today is my birthday. Won't you help me celebrate?





Today I turn 58. In two days, I run a half marathon. In January, I will be running a full marathon at Disney World in Florida.

I'm running to raise money to fight human trafficking. It turns out that the Detroit area is #2 in the nation for human trafficking, after Las Vegas.

You can read more about what I am doing here. Any donation is welcome and will be put to good use.

I have been extremely busy with work this past year. I've traveled quite a bit and have always found myself having to try and catch up with what wasn't getting done at home. Consequently, my training in BJJ became derailed over the summer. I just couldn't make the time to consistently train.

I work from home, which is great and I have time to get small things done during the day, but my company is headquartered in CA and I find myself frequently working on emails and calls past 8 or sometimes 9 in the evening when I am not traveling

Catching up around the house (and cottage) has come first, then getting in my miles for the long runs.

What I have been doing otherwise is zhang zhuang practice, a taijiquan short form (because it's short and I could fit it in) and xingyiquan Five Elements forms (again because they are short and I could fit them in).

Perhaps I am meant to be a forever beginner. I could do worse.



Earlier this month I attended (and helped plan) my 40 year high school reunion. I went to Cody High School in Detroit. Although many of my closest friends are from that era, it was a lot of fun catching up with people I hadn't seen since the last reunion; although Facebook has become a great help in keeping in touch with people.



In about two weeks, my wife and I will be celebrating our 32nd wedding anniversary.

When we got married, at our reception, we left the choice of the song for the wedding dance up to the band. This is what they came up with.



So good, so far.

Speaking of weddings, earlier this year in May, the Mrs and I went to a wedding in southern Florida. A friend's daughter was getting married and we were invited.

All of that traveling does come with a perk: points at hotels and miles on airlines. We didn't have to pay for the hotels or flights. We extended our stay for a few days, then drove down to Key West and spent a couple of days down there.

I knew it was going to be a good stay in Key West when we pulled up to the Marriott Seaside Resort. Someone from the lobby came out and handed me a glass of champagne while the Mrs was checking in.

Because of my points level, we got a free upgrade. As this was off season, the Presidential Suite, the best room in the place, was ours.

3 bedrooms, 3 baths, a full kitchen with granite and stainless steel, overlooking the pool and beach; we could have had another two couples in there an never have seen them.

We had a lot of fun on Duvall Street, I had my key lime pie, and a couple of beers at Sloppy Joes.

I can't lay my hands on it right now, but I have a picture of my dad from back in the 30's at the original Sloppy Joes in Havana. He owned a bar at the time and was down there with some friends.

At the cottage, half of the beach in underwater. With the past two snowy cold winters, where the Great Lakes froze over, they tell me that Lake Huron has recovered 31 inches. That's a lot of water.

BTW, we just sold the cottage; closing earlier this month and moving out before the end of October. That's been another item that has taken up a lot of my time.

Books. I've read some pretty good books this year. Economics in One Lesson by Henry Hazlitt, The Obstacle is the Way by Ryan Holiday, The World Beyond Your Head by Matthew Crawford and The Undefeated Mind by Alex Lickerman.

I would be remiss if I didn't post this music video.




3 comments:

Paul said...

Happy birthday Rick, senior but agile, experienced yet venturesome, run fast and write quick!

Rick Matz said...

Thank you, Paul.

I just got back from running the half marathon and am not feeling very agile at the moment.

Compass Architect said...

Happy Belated B-Day!