Here at the frontier, the leaves fall like rain. Although my neighbors are all barbarians, and you, you are a thousand miles away, there are still two cups at my table.


Ten thousand flowers in spring, the moon in autumn, a cool breeze in summer, snow in winter. If your mind isn't clouded by unnecessary things, this is the best season of your life.

~ Wu-men ~


Thursday, March 28, 2013

Nine Dragons

The Chinese believe nine is a lucky number and the number nine is often associated with dragons. Indeed Kowloon, an area of Hong Kong means "nine dragons." There are nine forms of the dragon and the dragon has nine offspring. Only the Emperor could wear nine dragons on his clothes. Click here to see the Nine Dragon Trident form from Choy Lay Fut kung fu.

Also, when practicing internal martial arts, one of the key characteristics is moving the body from the core. The foundation of moving from the core is the pelvis area.

Michael Buhr, the author of the Internal Gong Fu blog has written an eBook on working the pelvis to improve one's martial arts practice.  There is a huge amount of information available for a very low price. It is available for the Kindle. Please check it out.

2 comments:

walt said...

I once made an appointment with my acupuncturist, and the receptionist asked, "How about September 18, at 9 AM?" I dutifully said, "Okay." She looked at the screen, then at me, saying, "Ooh, you are a lucky man!"

Get it? -->(9/18 @ 9)<-- Not me: I had to ask what she was talking about.

I ordered the Pelvis book; thanks. Not available on Kindle, but highly recommended anyway is Pelvic Power, by Eric Franklin. Not about martial arts, but you'll be able to connect the dots.

Rick Matz said...

Thanks for the book lead.